Sunday, July 29, 2007

Penne with Vodka Sauce


Penne with Vodka Sauce is the favorite pasta dish at our house. I make a few changes to the traditional to make it a little healthier.
We like the Barilla Pasta Plus Penne, which is a whole wheat. It is so good, once you try it you will always use it. Matt always wants a little meat with his dinner. I make Turkey Meatballs, I make a lot when I make them & keep them in the freezer. (I admit they are not as good as my mom's but turkey is better for you) :)
Sauce:
1 quart Marinara Sauce (I will post my recipe) or store-bought marinara sauce (If you are going to use store bought get one that isn't too chunky)
1 cup vodka
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
Simmer the tomato sauce and vodka in a heavy large skillet over low heat until the mixture reduces by 1/4, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Stir the cream into the tomato and vodka sauce. Simmer over low heat until the sauce is heated through. Add your thawed meatballs now if you are having any. Stir in the Parmesan cheese until melted and well blended.
1 box Pasta Plus Penne
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 11 minutes if you use the pasta plus. Drain the pasta and transfer it to the pan with the sauce, and toss to coat.
Serve with Green Salad. Mangia!

No comments: