
My sister in law's birthday is today, we are all getting together for the occasion on Saturday. Birthdays are always a big deal with me, I guess I get it from my mom. When my dad turned 50 she made sure he had 50 gifts to open! Along with a super party. I will give you all the recipes for a Birthday Menu your guests won't forget. Let's start in the obvious place. The best part of any meal hors d'oeuvres! I like hors d'oeuvres to either be dips or finger foods. For this party I think we will go with finger foods.
Assorted Bruschetta
When you are making Bruschetta start by preparing your bread. I like to buy the ciabatta rolls at Costco. Slice them into 1/2 inch slices, brush each with olive oil & toast in the oven at 350 for about 5 minutes.
I like to offer a variety when I make bruschetta, so taking a short cut is okay! We are going to make four different choices. Prepare them all & then heat them in batches when the party starts.
Apples with Brie-Green apple sliced thin, place a slice on a piece of bread & top with a thin layer of Brie, my friend Jenny buys President Wee Brie, this works well.
Proscuitto, Marscapone & Figs- If you can't find fresh figs there are a variety of Fig preserves availible. Layer your fig or preserves, then a layer of the marscapone & top with Proscuitto.
Caprese-Layer a thin tomato slice, a basil leaf & top with a slice of Mozzarella. (Don't heat this one)
Olives & Blue Cheese-For this one you can either buy an Olive tapenade or make one. To make one take a cup of Kalamata olives pitted & process them in you food processor. Spread a layer of your olive spread & top with Blue Cheese crumbles.
About ten minutes before serving time place them all on a cookie sheet (except your Caprese) bake at 350 for ten minutes, remove from the oven 7 transfer to a pretty platter. We should serve a cocktail with our hors devours too. Keeping with the Italian theme, we should serve Limoncello Coolers. In tall glasses with ice pour one ounce Limoncello & top with soda water, garnish with a lemon twist.

2 comments:
Thank you for all the fantastic recipes and entertaining anecdotes. I discovered your food blog by way of your wedding page. (My wife and I are past owners of jessieandmatt.com. We also had a "destination" wedding: Madeira, Portugal. I typed in the URL to see if any of our old wedding info was still there and found you and your Matt instead!).
Anyway, you not only sound like an accomplished cook but a great person--I wish the thought of bringing homemade blueberry turnovers to a meeting occurred to more people (myself included).
And your ability to improvise with a recipe will continue to serve you well, as it has my wife (who has honed her ability as a result of not being able to actually follow a recipe from step to step).
Best of luck to you and Matt. Have fun at your wedding! (Let other people worry about the details.) :)
Pax,
Matt J.
PS: I apologize if this sounds totally anal-retentive, but the term "hors devours" (which appears on both your food blog and your wedding site) is typically spelled "hors d'oeuvres" -
[French hors d'œuvre : hors, outside + de, of + œuvre, (the main) work.]
Thanks Matt! We actually saw your page when we were searching for our domain name. :)
I hope you and Jessie are as happy as Matt & I are. Thanks for the spelling tip, I copied it from one of my cookbooks, not wanting to spell it wrong. :) I hope you will keep reading.
Best wishes,
Jes
Post a Comment