I am certainly not advocating that you eat chicken fried steak all the time, but every once in a while its fun! I lived in Texas when I was a kid, my sister & I always looked forward to Chicken Fried Steak day on the school lunch menu. Texans serve this southern classic with gravy, mashed potatoes, Texas toast or a biscuit & green beans. Although I don't know anyone who eats the green beans! Matt & I are in Austin this weekend to celebrate my 30th birthday, so in honor of our trip I am going to post some Southern Meals.1 tenderized cube steak
2 beaten eggs
1/8 cup milk (2 tablespoons)
flour
salt/pepper/garlic powder
Gravy:
3 tablespoons flour
milk
Season meat, cut into serving size. Use 2 shallow bowls for flour, in first dip bowl, leave flour plain, in the second dip bowl add more of the same seasoning (salt/pepper/garlic powder/and if you like add just a touch of cayenne) In the third shallow bowl, beat 2 eggs and add milk.Mix together. Dip meat in plain flour, then in egg mixture, then in seasoned flour, shake off all excess flour. Fry in cast iron pan with about 1/4-1/2 in heated oil. (have the grease hot enough to fry but not too hot to burn the oil) You can make the milk gravy by using 3 tablespoons of the grease used to fry the steak and add 3 tablespoons of flour, mix well and add milk to the consistency of gravy you like.
*You could also make the breakfast classic of chicken fried steak & eggs.

No comments:
Post a Comment