Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving: Holiday Tips


Happy Thanksgiving! Hopefully you have many things to be thankful for, personally I am very thankful for all my wonderful friends, family & my new husband who I adore :)
By now you have all your food preparations complete. I thought I would offer a few tips on keeping your holiday running smoothly.

If you are having dinner at someone else's home:
Never go to someones home empty handed, you can bring a food item, flowers, wine or a gift.
When transporting you food place it in a box with towels around it so it doesn't spill in your car.
If you bring flowers & they are not in a vase offer to put them in water for your host.
Remember to offer to help, serving, setting the table, mixing drinks & washing up.

If you are the host/hostess:
Have a cold or room temperature hors d'oeuvres set out before guests arrive, pop hot ones in the oven when the first guest arrives, so they don't get cold.
I like to arrange a "bar" area on the counter, with red & white wine, ice mixers, water & alcohol with varied glasses, when people arrive enlist your co host to make their first drink, after that we tell people to help themselves.
Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Stick with a schedule, dinner should be served 45 minutes after the guests arrive.
Move desert & coffee to the living room, everyone will want to relax & you won't feel pressured to start washing dishes.

Tips for the temperature of wine:

White Wine or Champagne 55 degrees
1 1/2 hours in the fridge
40 minutes in the freezer
20 minutes in ice & water
If it has been stored in the fridge allow it to set at room temperature for 20 minutes

Red Wine 65 degrees
20 minutes in the fridge

Have a great Thanksgiving. I hope you will be spending it with people you love. To all of our family & friends we aren't with, Love & miss you!





No comments: