Last night we went to happy hour with some friends at Gordon Biersch. The happy hour was great, fun friends, good margaritas & the best hors d'oeuvres for $5 a plate. If you have a Gordon Biersch in your town I highly recommend going. My favorite hors d'oeuvre was the fried artichoke hearts. When we got home I told Matt I was going to figure out how to make them, the only problem being that I would want to make them every night. :)Here is what I came up with:
1 cup flour
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup water
¼ cup beer
2 cans of artichoke hearts (the kind in water)
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Crisco
In a deeper sauce pan place enough Crisco that when it melts it is about 1 inch deep
Heat to 350 degrees F. (If you don't have a frying thermometer here is one on sale at Sur La Table)Mix together the flour, baking powder, water and beer. Dip artichokes in batter mix, then roll in bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese. Fry 2 or 3 minutes or until light golden brown.
These are really good enough on their own but Gordon Beirsch served them with a garlicky aoli.
Garlic Aoli
1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons minced garlic

No comments:
Post a Comment