
I have a homemade ice cream maker. I have had it for a few years. I never use it except in the summer, when I make this wonderful strawberry ice cream.
When Beckie lived with me in Salt Lake the ice cream maker was brand new. We had figured out a vanilla recipe we liked so we were into making that. One day we had a big bunch of nice strawberries so we chopped them & threw them in. I went up stairs to shower while the ice cream set, the next thing I heard was Beckie screaming. I ran into the kitchen, to find the ice cream maker exploding & Beckie licking the ice cream off the counter! We had not taken the extra volume from the strawberries into account! Anyway this recipe will not explode it is the right volume.
2 large eggs
3/4 cup sugar
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup milk
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/3 cup sugar
juice from a lemon
1/2 lemon zest from 1 lemon
Combine strawberries, lemon juice/zest, and 1/3 cup sugar. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.Once strawberries have refrigerated, prepare the sweet cream base. Whisk eggs in a bowl until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in the sugar and continue whisking for a minute longer. Add the cream and milk, stir until fully combined.Combine the strawberry mixture into the sweet cream base. Pour into an ice-cream mixer and mix according to mixer instructions. It should take about 45 minutes. You can store it in the freezer for a few days. I have a Cuisinart ice cream maker, it is great. Make sure your bowl is very cold & has been in the freezer at least 24 hours.

No comments:
Post a Comment