Thursday, June 19, 2008

Chicken Stir Fry

Last night when I stopped off at the grocery store, I was trying to think of something to make for dinner that would be fast, yummy & healthy. I realized I had not made chicken stir fry in years. One of my roommates in college, taught me how to whip up a delicious one, her mom was from Hong Kong.
1 1/2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 yellow squash sliced thin
1/2 8-ounce bag shredded carrots
1 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
2 cups broccoli florets
1 boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped in to bite size pieces
2 1/2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons Mr. Yoshida stir fry sauce
Rice to serve over
Heat the oil in a wok or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chicken, cook constantly stiring until no longer pink, about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Add the broccoli and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are softened but still slightly crunchy, about 3 minutes. Add the water chestnuts and sauces and heat until warmed through, about 3 minutes.Divide the rice among individual plates, spoon the stir-fry over the top. You could add just about any vegetables to this. Matt complained for a minute that this was too vegetabley, but he cleaned his plate & took the left overs for lunch!

No comments: