Thursday, August 21, 2008

Latkes~Potato Pancakes


As long as we are this far into the week talking about pancakes, we better see it through! Latkes or Potato Pancakes are shallow-fried pancakes of grated potato and egg, often flavored with grated onion. Potato pancakes may be topped with a variety of condiments, ranging from the savory (such as sour cream) to the sweet (such as applesauce or sugar), or they may be served ungarnished. Potato pancakes are commonly associated with traditional German or Jewish cuisine. I have actually never made them but enjoyed them as a kid when our family friend Hermina would make them for us. I read that Latkes are traditional eaten for Hanukkah, the custom probably came from a preference for fried food to celebrate the miracle involving olive oil in the Second Temple of ancient Israel. (I wish I knew that off the top of my head but I got that info from Wikipedia) Either way I love trying out traditional cultural meals. I think these could be a lot of fun to vary, sweet potato pancakes anyone?



4 large potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
ground black pepper to taste
2 cups vegetable oil for frying



Finely grate potatoes with onion into a large bowl. Drain off any excess liquid.
Mix in egg, salt, and black pepper. Add enough flour to make mixture thick, about 2 to 4 tablespoons all together.
Turn oven to low, about 200 degrees F (95 degrees C).
Heat 1/4 inch oil in the bottom of a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes. Fry, turning once, until golden brown. Transfer to paper towel lined plates to drain, and keep warm in low oven until serving time. Repeat until all potato mixture is used.

1 comment:

Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

oh, my mom-in-law just luuuurves these. i made them once, three years ago, and she still talks about them. maybe i'll try this version!

i'm not sure about the sweet potatoes...i think they'd be harder to get the moisture out of. maybe, though!