Friday, September 26, 2008

Hush Puppies

When we were kids and we would go out for fish, we always had hush puppies.  I remember my Grandpa telling us that the name came from sailor's tossing them to the ship dogs saying "Hush Puppies".  Not sure if that is true but it makes me smile  :)
When we went to Newport, hush puppies were served with dinner at the Lobster Bake.  Matt had never had them before, I think he was in love!  
2 cups yellow corn meal
1 cup plain flour 
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk 
3/4 teaspoon Cavender's
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper blend 
1 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 cup peanut oil
oil to fry them in (peanut)

Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add your eggs, oil, and buttermilk. Stir it all up until
the flavors are thoroughly blended. 

Turn your fry-daddy to 375. When it's hot you can drop your hush puppies in using a table spoon. Allow them to brown on all sides.  They will float when they are done.  

To have fun with them, add some chopped green onion, cheddar cheese, bacon bits or anything else you think sounds yummy.  

2 comments:

Donna said...

I love & miss hush puppies from when we lived in the South. I've never had a recipe until now! They will be fun to try.

Megan said...

These were awesome, on of my favorite parts!