Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Zucchini Bake

On Christmas morning we are going over to my sister in laws house to watch Lily open her presents.  Jennifer (Carolyn's mother in law) is making her delicious scones, so I told Carolyn I would make a quiche or something to go with them.  I have been trying to decide what would be perfect and I remembered this zucchini bake recipe, which is one of my all time favorites. (When I lived alone, I would make one and Megan would come over, we would eat the zucchini bake, drink wine and watch The OC.  Could there be a better night?)  I digress, this is simple and just as good at night as it is in the morning!
3 cups grated zucchini 
2 shallots , chopped 
1 cup all-purpose flour 
1 cup grated provolone or swiss cheese 
3 eggs, beaten 
1/4 cup vegetable oil 
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan 
2 teaspoons chopped fresh basil, rosemary or thyme (if you don't have access to any of these, I use 1 teaspoon mix Italian herbs, re hydrated in 1 teaspoon of white wine) 
1 teaspoon baking powder 
1 teaspoon Cavender's
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper 

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, save1 tablespoon of the Parmesan. Spoon the zucchini mixture into a 10-inch round glass pie plate (Remember Mary Ellen says glass is best!)  that has been coated with vegetable cooking spray. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with the reserved Parmesan. Cool 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

  I like a little Tabasco with mine for some heat, if you like spice and all your fellow diners agree, I would chop a jalapeno in to the mix.

1 comment:

Megan said...

There really isn't anything better...good times!