Sunday, August 5, 2007

Chicken Marsala

I love Chicken Marsala, it is by far my favorite Italian dish. I must confess one of the main reasons I love it so much is the mushrooms! Matt doesn't like mushrooms which is just fine, more for me. :)
I adapted this recipe to try & cut the calories back a little with out compromising the taste. I know you will like it.

5 tablespoons butter, divided object
Cooking spray
16 ounce package mushrooms sliced (This is a lot of mushrooms you can half it)
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
2 tablespoons half-and-half
4 cups hot cooked fettuccine (about 8 ounces uncooked pasta)

Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray and 1 Tablespoon butter over medium-high heat; add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until moisture evaporates; remove from pan. Set aside.

Using a meat mallet pound each chicken breast half to a 1/4-inch thickness
Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt and pepper. Place flour in a shallow dish; dredge chicken breast halves in flour.
Add 3 tablespoons butter to pan, and place over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Remove chicken from pan.
Return mushroom mixture to pan; add broth and Marsala, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes
Add 1 tablespoon butter, half-and-half, salt and pepper, stirring until butter melts. Return chicken to pan; cook until thoroughly heated. Serve chicken and sauce over pasta.

No comments: