Friday, September 21, 2007

Chicken Fried Chicken with Cheese Biscuits

I love fried chicken, I can't help it. I tell myself how horrible it is but I still have to eat it a few times a year. This is a great recipe, perfectly crispy. Serve it with cheese biscuits, cole slaw & potato salad.

4 eggs
1/3 cup water
1 cup hot red pepper sauce
2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon pepper
Cavendars
2 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
Oil, for frying, preferably peanut oil (Peanut oil must be the Southern secret, they use it a Chick Fil A too)

In a medium size bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add enough hot sauce so the egg mixture is bright orange. In another bowl, combine the flour and pepper. Season the chicken with the House Seasoning. Dip the seasoned chicken in the egg, and then coat well in the flour mixture.

Heat the oil to 350 degrees F in a deep pot. Do not fill the pot more than 1/2 full with oil.

Fry the chicken in the oil until brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. It should take dark meat about 13 to 14 minutes, white meat around 8 to 10 minutes.

Cheese Biscuits:

2 cups self-rising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1/3 cup shortening
3/4 cup grated sharp Cheddar
1 cup buttermilk
Salt
1/4 stick butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt, to taste, and sugar together using a fork; cut in shortening until it resembles cornmeal. Add cheese. Sir in buttermilk all at one time just until blended. Do not over stir.

Drop by tablespoonfuls, or use an ice cream scoop, onto a well-greased baking sheet. Brush dough with melted butter. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brandon loved this chicken. I think the peanut oil made it extra tasty. I swear, I check your website everyday trying to figure out dinner!