This morning I called my parents to try to get the Rally Pie recipe for all of my readers. This is how my dad answered the phone:"Good morning Minches, Home of the Rally Pie" That is a dedicated fan! My mom gave up the rally pie recipe for the good of the Red Socks Nation! Here is what she had to say about it:
Boston Cream Pie was always a favorite of my Dad’s, who was an avid Red Sox fan. I can remember growing up in Massachusetts you were always a Red Sox fan, no matter what !! My dad would drive my sister & I to another town to go clothes shopping. He would sit in the car, in the store parking lot, on hot summer nights with his thermos of coffee & his little cigar, listening to the Sox on the AM radio patiently waiting for us. Take your time he’d say, I’ll be listening to the game. Every time I listen to a baseball game on the radio, I think of my dad.
Back to the pie. When I was going to College I cooked for a Fraternity house, that’s when I started baking my own version of Boston Cream Pie. In 2004 when the Sox were down 3 & 0 to the Yankees, I started baking Boston Cream Pie, they won the game. So the next game it was Boston Cream Pie again & the rest is history. It was the extra mojo the Sox needed. The pie was renamed Rally Pie in 2004. What ever you call it, you’ll enjoy it.
Red Sox Rally Pie: aka Boston Cream Pie
1 Yellow Cake Mix package
Mix as directed
Spray 3 pie pans with non stick spray:
use disposable since you’ll have pies to give away.
Divide batter into the 3 pans: bake as directed on the box.
Filling:
2 small packages instant vanilla pudding
Add 3 cups milk, beat with mixer
Allow to set up in the refrigerator
Fold in 8 oz cool whip
Take the cakes out of the pans and slice horizontally into 2 layers
Place the bottom cake back into the pie pan
Spoon 1/3 of the filling onto each cake, place 2nd layer on top
Frosting:
Bring to a boil
½ stick butter
1 T Cocoa powder
3 T milk
½ t vanilla
Pour over ½ lb powdered sugar (2 1/3 cups)
Beat until smooth
Pour over the top of the cakes & refrigerate
Thanks Mom! Have fun watching the games & eating your pie everyone!! :)

1 comment:
Jess, How about equalling the playing fields and posting something to cheer on the Colorado Rockies? You did live in Colorado, remember?? Rocky Mountain Oysters are always a favorite. Do you think you can locate some testicles? Maybe you should ask your dad...he is good at locating peculiar items. Big hugs from Portugal!! Leasa
leasa.blogspot.com
Post a Comment