
Poor Matt, while out Christmas shopping today, I convinced him we should go to Penzey's Spice Store. I had never used any of their spices previously, but our wonderful friends Sarah & Sean sent us a set for a wedding gift. The spices are so fragrant that you can cut back the amount you use in a recipe. One of the shop ladies gave me this recipe for Green Chile, Chicken & Navy Bean soup, when I told her I had the ground Chiplotle pepper spice. I think this would be wonderful on a cold night.
2 15 ounce cans navy beans, drained with the liquid reserved
1 large onion chopped
1/4 cup butter divided
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoon ground Chipolte powder or chili powder
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon hot sauce
salt & pepper to taste
2 4 ounce cans of mild green chiles, drained & chopped
1 cup cooked & cubed chicken breast
In skillet over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter and saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes. In a 6-8 quart kettle melt the remaining butter over moderately low heat and whisk in the flour, cumin and chipoltle powder. Cook, whisking constantly, 3 minutes. Gradually add broth, milk, and reserved bean liquid, whisking constantly. Bring mixture to a boil, stir occasionally until thickened about 5 minutes. Stir in hot sauce, salt & pepper. Add beans, chiles, chicken & softened onions. Cook over low heat 20 minutes.

No comments:
Post a Comment