Undoubtedly the big hit of the Minch-Buechel wedding was the cream of Poblano Chile Soup served at Mom & Dad Minch's family dinner. The entire meal was fabulous & I would love to get into the resorts recipe box, but the soup was exceptional. I have been promising this recipe but it has taken me some time to figure out. I know many people will be excited to finally have this one (Uncle Mike). 3 (6 inch) corn tortillas
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (I have amazing ancho chile powder from Penzeys)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely diced onions
1/2 cup finely diced poblano peppers
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic (I am the worst about over doing the garlic, seriously 1/2 tsp is plenty)
2 tablespoons butter
3 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup half & half
1/4 cup roasted chicken, chopped, the Moon Palace cubed it into tiny cubes, if you have the patience go for it, I shredded
1/2 cup shredded Queso Fesco, if you can't find it Monterrey Jack works
Cut three tortillas into ninths; place in food processor and chop until fine.
Add flour,chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; blend to the consistency of cornmeal.
Place oil in stockpot over medium high heat; add onion, 1/2 cup poblano pepper, and garlic and sauté until the onion is transparent.
Add butter and let it melt.
Add tortilla-flour mixture to the pan and mix well.
Cook 4-5 minutes stirring constantly with a whisk- do not let mixture burn.
While stirring, slowly add broth, scraping down sides and bottom often.
Add half and half, bring to a slow simmer and cook 7-10 minutes.
Do not let soup come to a hard boil.
Turn off heat, process in batches in blender to achieve smooth consistency.
Add chicken before serving.
Top with cheese before serving.

2 comments:
Thanks Jessie! We'll be giving this a try soon.
Uncle Mike
I am looking for a recipe from Moon Palace Resort in Cancun. They had a great pasta salad with pineapple in it at the pool buffet. Anyone know how I can get the recipe???
Post a Comment