Monday, September 22, 2008

Butternut Squash and Apple Soup

Fresh and Easy has this incredible butternut squash soup, I was checking out the ingredients, I noticed that there was apple in it, which I think is what makes it great.  If you don't have a Fresh and Easy Market near you, try this out.  
1 1/2 qt. of chicken stock
2 lb. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 lg. onion, finely chopped
2 med. shallots, finely chopped
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme 
1/2 c. half and half
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. finely ground pepper

Heat chicken stock in 6 quart enamel or stainless steel casserole until simmering.  Add squash, apple, onion, shallots, and thyme. Simmer covered for 30 minutes or until all vegetables are soft and tender.  Puree in food processor or in blender.  Return to pan and add half and half. Add salt and pepper and simmer for 6 minutes. Taste for seasoning.  Ladle into soup bowls and garnish with spoonfuls of sour cream.

1 comment:

Donna said...

I love squash soup. I will have to give it a try !