Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Thai Green Curry


I have had a recipe for Thai Green Curry for a long time, I typically make it with cilantro, but after my trip to the farmer's market I had some Thai Basil. (According to CuisineNet, Thai basil is a lighter green than European basil. It has a lemony aroma and slightly spicy flavor and is used in salads in Thailand.) So with my Thai Basil, I was all set to make this curry dish. It is very spicy so adjust the curry and jalapenos to your tolerance of spice. Be sure when you saute the curry and pepper that you open a window, the fumes are potent but the end result is worth it!
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Thai Green Curry Paste (you can adjust depending on how hot you like it, this is as hot as Matt can take!)
2 carrots sliced (I have this great crinkle cutter from Pampered Chef, when you go to a party you have to get something)
1 jalapeno sliced in small pieces (remove the seeds)
1 large chicken breast (boneless skinless) cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 pound large raw shrimp peeled and deveined
14 ounces lite coconut milk
1/4 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1/4 cup chopped Thai Basil (use cilantro if you don't have Thai Basil)
3 Green Onions sliced thin (green and white parts)
1 15 ounce can baby corn
Heat the oil in a large skillet, add curry paste, jalapeno and saute until fragrant. Add the chicken and saute until cooked. Add carrot saute briefly, add coconut milk, broth, fish sauce and lime juice to skillet, simmer, stirring occasionally, it will start to thicken. (About 5 minutes) Add shrimp, basil, green onion and corn. Simmer 2 - 5 more minutes until the shrimp are cooked. (Not to long the shrimp can get tough) Serve over rice. We like Basmati rice. I thought Jason would be excited we were done with the sweets. I was right:
yum, Thai Green Curry! Finally Halloween is over and we can get back to wine pairing...The spicier the better to pair it with this Dr. Beckermann Riesling Spatlese. A perfect match! If you don't like Riesling grab this Gewurzt.

2 comments:

Shopping's My Cardio.com said...

is it sad that i'm hopping up and down in my chair right now with excitement over trying this? YUM!

jason said...

yum, Thai Green Curry! Finally Halloween is over and we can get back to wine pairing...The spicier the better to pair it with this Dr. Beckermann Riesling Spatlese. A perfect match! If you don't like Riesling grab this Gewurzt.