Thanksgiving is getting close, one of my favorite parts is the cranberries. My house was a can house growing up, but I like the real stuff. I have experimented with cranberries quite a bit. Last year I shared a spicy southwest cranberry sauce, this year I am sharing a spiced cranberry sauce. Spiced cranberries have a similar flavor to ginger cookies. The pomegranate juice is a nice touch, if you don't have any pomegranate you can use another juice.1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries (readily available during the holidays)
1/2 cup pomegranate, apple, or cranberry juice
¾ cup maple syrup
2 teaspoons grated citrus rind (lemon, tangerine or orange)
also juice the citrus fruit you use and add that to the fruit juice you decide to use
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
Mix the cranberries and juices together in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat until cranberries start to pop and juice is boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the berries are soft and juices thicken, about 25 minutes. (Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools). Stir in citrus rind and spices.
This will keep in the refrigerator for a month. Serve at dinner as a side dish or my favorite on a turkey sandwich.
If you like the spiced cranberries try spiced caramel fondue.

1 comment:
Yum, the cranberries are my favorite part too!
Post a Comment