Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jeannie's Milk Punch


I love recipes that have a story. My cousin Jeannie and I were talking Christmas recipes and she promised to find me her famous milk punch. She found it and sent the story that goes with it. I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday so far. We tend to forget to enjoy the time leading up to Christmas :) Matt and I have been having a wonderful time with friends celebrating!
From Jeannie:
This is the famous Milk Punch recipe.
It is from my dear friend Mr. Alan Farnham who is an esteemed writer and senior editor at Forbes Magazine. When we first enjoyed this holiday delicacy, it was in celebration of a Gramercy Park Thanksgiving, 2007. Mr. Farnham left us a little note outside our bedroom doors, simply stating “milk punch? Come upstairs.” When we went upstairs in his stately Ardsley-on-Hudson manor (that we delightfully call “Farnhamwyck”) we were delighted to find Mr. Farnham holding a beautiful glass pitcher full of something luxuriously white, minty and creamy. Milk Punch is a wonderful way to start the holiday! But, I’ve always wanted to share it with you for Christmas – when calorie wise it seems better than Thanksgiving as if you are like us, we don’t eat much all day we are so happy with stockings, presents, music, the tree, friends and gift giving....It could also be an exceptional Christmas Eve midnight toast or nightcap, or early on Christmas morning if you want to get a nice little glow on while the kiddies open stockings. My guess it is highly caloric! It is also very strong, so no driving after toasting! (I suppose one could make it non-alcoholic, but WHY?!)

I don’t know actual measurements, but picture a nice, small glass pitcher full....

Farnhamwyck Milk Punch
Hagaan Das Vanilla ice cream (small container and it must be left out of freezer so that it is soft)
1/2 gallon of milk
*basically it is half milk, half ice cream
1 shot Brandy (Felipe)
1 shot Rye
Fresh mint leaves sliced (small bunch)

Serve in a short, yet full bodied glass adorned with mint leaves

Come back tomorrow for Jeannie's winter sangria!

No comments: