Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Bourbon Chicken Bites

Last night when I made a trip to our Safeway the Salvation Army Bell Ringer was there. As I was leaving the store, digging in my purse for some cash to drop in the bucket, I smiled thinking of how when my sister and I were kids my parents always gave us money to give the Bell Ringers. In the spirit of giving a couple that we are friends with in Utah and another couple in Scottsdale host Christmas parties where the guests bring gifts for those in need. This has long been one of my favorite traditions, to give to those less fortunate. So while I am busy thinking of the toys I want to bring to the party (did anyone know that Monchichi had made a comeback?), I also wanted to help our hosts out by bringing a hors d'oeuvres. At parties finger foods are best, and those that can be eaten off a toothpick, even better! I am thinking of bringing these Bourbon Chicken Bites to the Rosses Party on Saturday.

2/3 cup honey
1/3 cup bourbon (I use Knob Creek, but it was on sale years ago and I still have it, we don't drink bourbon but I love to cook with it!)
1 tablespoons ginger powder
2 tablespoons orange juice
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons water
Combine first 9 ingredients in a large bowl; mix well. Add chicken; stir until coated. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 425°.
Remove chicken from bowl, save the marinade. Arrange chicken in a single layer on the rack of a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes, stirring once.
While chicken is cooking, strain marinade through a mesh sieve into a sauce pan; throw away any solids. (wash the bowl you will need it in a minute) Bring marinade to a boil. Cook 3 minutes; skim solids from surface. Combine cornstarch and water in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add cornstarch mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk; cook 1 minute. Remove from heat; pour glaze back into the large bowl.
Preheat broiler.
Add chicken to glaze; toss well to coat. Place chicken mixture on a jelly roll pan; broil 5 minutes or until browned, stirring twice. Arrange on a platter stick pieces with toothpicks.

No comments: